Today’s recipe is the Chicken Jalousie and it really couldn’t be easier to make, but tastes great! I cook this when I’m having lots of people over, and the leftovers make a great lunch! The ingredients and method below will give you 6 good portions, and can be served with salad, garlic bread, or anything that takes your fancy on a particular day! Need to get your ingredients quickly but there are no delivery slots from your local supermarket? Check out Amazon Fresh today! [aff]
Chicken Jalousie Recipe
- 2 packs of frozen puff pastry (defrosted) *
- 1 egg, beaten to glaze
- 6 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 pack bacon, diced
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 1 medium tub of Philadelphia cream cheese
- 250g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- mixed herbs (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
* You can, of course, make your own puff pastry! This may work out cheaper, however I use the premade stuff just for speed and simplicity. Just please remember to defrost it fully! I keep forgetting to do this…
- Cook your chicken, bacon, onion, garlic and mushrooms and leave aside to cool completely.
- Preheat your oven to roughly 180C and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Roll out your pastry to fit the tray.
- Drain the cooled chicken, bacon, onion, garlic and mushroom. The less liquid getting into the pie, the better! No soggy bottoms here… Another tip – if you have a gas hob, lightly cook the base of your pie on the tray above the medium flame!
- Mix your now cold chicken, bacon, onion, garlic and mushrooms, with the sweetcorn and Philadelphia cream cheese. Use this opportunity to season with herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour out your mixture and spread it on the pastry, leaving 1cm around the edges. Cover this 1cm border in the egg.
- Roll out a second sheet and cut a slit in the centre (allows steam to come out) and carefully lay this on top of the mix.
- Seal the edges together by pressing them together or folding where possible to keep the mixture in, then glaze the entire pie in the egg.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden, and serve with whatever sides you choose!
So a simple enough recipe for anyone who likes pie! Let me know if you give it a try and what you think of it!
Alternatively, why not Pin this post to try at a later stage? It’s sure to become one of your favourite meals, and can be served in any situation.