… when September ends
I can’t believe August is over already! Where did it go??
Schools start back, university students begin to pack and parents around the world breathe a sigh of relief as everything returns to normal.
August was a mixed month. It started well with a trip to Newcastle, County Down and then the week in Glasgow for the 2 resits and signing our contract. I had a great night with Maura as we made paper airplanes using only our mouths among other craft things before settling down to watch Les Miserables – this was my first successful 40 hours without sleep. As you can guess, I was exhausted that Saturday night and crashed into bed, anticipating the official start of my summer. The next day, Dad’s Uncle Tom went into hospital and never left. That’s one drive I don’t think I’ll ever forget. The following week was fast as we scrambled to clean his house and find the will and all else that needed done before the funeral. During this time, my cousin Sarah and I grew closer, a story for another time about our previous relationship perhaps. A weekend in Fermanagh while we gathered our thoughts and then suddenly it was Rachel’s results. The following week (this time last week in fact) Dad and I left for a trip to Glasgow to move stuff into my flat. That was a hectic 30 hours! To round off the month, we had a family picnic in Tom’s house and then a night at Tennent’s Vital followed by an afternoon in Crumlin Road Gaol. Can’t really say we didn’t do much!
As for the goals I set myself? Well I think I managed to lose half a stone, I’m too scared to go near the scales. I didn’t read three books but at least I read one and a half! I’ve applied for multiple jobs in Glasgow and have an interview arranged for in a few weeks. Results of the resits are still unknown but by this time next week I will know. Getting scared now. And in my defence Mum, my room is only a mess because I’m packing to leave! So that’s 2 out of the 5 I can answer. How about September?
At the end of the day, I can honestly set these goals for myself. Hopefully I’ll stick to them!
- Read 2 books this month. This includes the book I am currently reading because, let’s face it – I need all the help I can get! Watch this space for their reviews!
- Go to the gym twice. Even if only for half an hour. Try and get into a routine because once it’s there it can stay. Plus, if I go to the gym I may meet new people! Did someone say “possible girlfriend”?
- Attend all lectures this month. If I can’t do it in September then I’ve no hope for the rest of the year. Start as you mean to go on and all that jazz. Included in this is write up the notes at the end of the week.
- Save money. Whether this involves a job or just budgeting better, I need to figure out a way to make my money last because right now I haven’t a hope of surviving uni or paying for anything. I know circumstances may change (fingers crossed) but that will have to wait.
- Catch up on all my favourite TV shows that start back this month – Downton Abbey, Castle, Greys Anatomy, Community and Archer and of course we still have to finish 24!
So those are the goals. Think I’ll stick to them? I don’t know either. Gym time is not only a great way to lose weight but it also provides some down time to think. Stick in some headphones and I can listen to an audio book or a podcast. I could learn a new language or even take the time to just think. With reading and watching shows I love, I can relax and unwind after a hopefully productive day at lectures. And how do we treat ourselves? Maybe a nice present to myself at the end of the month! September, please be good to me… You have to be, it’s my birthday soon!
How about you? Any goals this month? Good luck for September!
Thanks for reading,