Once again I’m behind on Photo A Day April, I will fix this asap. However I wanted to take the time to show you a lovely recipe that I’m having for lunch today – a red lentil, chickpea and chilli soup!
Today’s recipe is a red lentil, chickpea and chilli soup – so tasty, and very easy to make.
- 2 tsp cumin
- Large pinch of chilli flakes
- Red onion
- 1 tbsp oil
- 140g red lentils
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400g chickpeas
- Dry fry the cumin and chilli flakes until bouncing in the pan or the aromas are released.
- Add the oil and onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, stock and chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and blitz.
- Stir in the chickpeas and season to taste.
There you have it, a nice simple soup that really takes half an hour at the most! In my opinion, there needs to be more chilli in it but apart from that it’s a great meal.
Following these quantities, I’ve managed to make 5-6 servings of the soup. Now, BBC GoodFood predicted that, if I was to buy the ingredients today from Tesco, it would cost me 56p per serving (4 servings) (at time of writing).
Do you have any cheap, go-to lunches for days when you just can’t think?