One thing I hated while working full time was trying to think up healthy office lunches. It seemed to take forever to think of something that would be tasty but not use too many of my Weight Watchers smart points. So today I wanted to share my top 5 healthy office lunches – enough for a week of meal planning! First up, I wanted to cover the basic option that is a go-to for me whenever I can’t think of what to have – Soup.
You can make just about any soup you want to, but my favourite one has to be my dad’s Bloody Mary soup! The recipe below should yield 4-5 portions, so you can even freeze some for next week if you wanted. The vodka is optional, and because of the amount of time it’s cooking for, you burn off the actual alcohol – making it okay to have in work!
- frylight calorie controlled spray
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 800g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 75ml vodka (optional)
- juice of one lemon
- tabasco, to taste
- Heat your fry-light in a medium saucepan.
- Fry the celery for 3-4 minutes until it begins to soften, then add the cans of chopped tomatoes, 300ml of water, Worcestershire sauce, vodka, and lemon juice.
- Allow it to come to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and add the tabasco to taste.
- Using a blender, blitz the soup until smooth. Serve with a roll if you wish.
Lunch number 2 is another favourite of mine: Lentil, spinach and apple salad.
I actually only discovered this salad this week, but I really did love it! I got the original recipe from my Weight Watchers Flex booklet we got the first week back in January (so last week), but as always I learnt to adapt it to my tastes. The recipe below gives enough for 2 good sized portions.
- 95g dried lentils
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 50g spinach
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- juice of half a lemon
- 10g stilton, crumbled
- Boil water in a pot.
- Add your lentils and allow to come back to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmering heat, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and leave the lentils to cool.
- Chop your celery and take the stalks off your spinach leaves, and mix in a bowl with the cold cooked lentils.
- Mix the apple slices in the lemon juice, fully coating each piece.
- Combine the apple pieces with the rest of your salad.
- To finish, crumble your stilton over the top.
Another must have healthy lunch for me in work is a tuna pasta!
Such a simple yet understated meal, tuna pasta is quick and easy to make.
- tin of tuna in water or brine (1 tin for 2 portions)
- 3 heaped tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1.5oz per person of wholegrain pasta.
- celery, sliced
- cucumber, sliced
- Drain any tins your are using.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Add more mayo if you think it’s needed.
Up fourth is another fishy meal – a smoked salmon bagel
All you need for this tasty but healthy lunch is a plain bagel, some soft/cream cheese, and some smoked salmon! You can bulk it out by adding lettuce and cucumber, or if your office kitchen has a microwave you could make some scrambled egg to really be the envy of the office!
Healthy Lunch Number 5 is the Pizza Wrap
Another I learnt from my Weight Watcher booklets, the pizza wrap can be adjusted to suit whatever you may like on a pizza. The one I made just this week (and seen in the photo above) is made of the following:
- 1 small tortilla wrap
- 1 tbsp hot salsa
- 2 mushrooms, sliced
- spinach, stalks removed
- 10g grated cheese
- Put your tortilla under the grill until it starts to crisp a little.
- Spread your salsa over the tortilla.
- Top with your toppings, and sprinkle the grated cheese over the top
- Place back under the grill until the cheese is melted.
- For ease, slice your pizza when you lift it out of the grill, and allow to cool before packing for lunch.
And there you have it! These are my top 5 healthy office lunch suggestions. Have you made any of the above? What would you suggest adding to the list?