Yesterday, with Mum off work and lunch having to be more than a cheese and crisp sandwich (that really won’t help the diet), we decided to be a little bit more adventurous with the left overs in the fridge.
What we found was actually very simple. There were a few prawns leftover from dinner the night before, some avocados getting close to their use by, and a looking-sorry-for-itself lettuce. As always, we had the staples like bread and cheese and eggs but no one wanted anything using them. This was when we had the idea to try a prawn mayonnaise salad.
Cutting the avocados in half and removing the stone, mum placed a half on each plate. While she did that, I mixed 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise with a generous helping of tomato purée until it turned a nice pink colour before adding a splash of tabasco sauce. We then chopped up the prawns and mixed them through the mayonnaise before serving it on top of the avocado. To finish it off, a few chopped cherry tomatoes, a couple of slices of cucumber and some lettuce for a bit of a crunch. Et voilà! A perfectly simple lunch for anyone wanting something quick and easy.
What you need (serves 3)
- 3 avocados
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise (light if you wish)
- Approx 1 tablespoon tomato purée (can use ketchup)
- A splash of Tabasco sauce
- 100g cooked prawns chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes chopped
- Cucumber for garnishing
- Lettuce for garnishing
- Mix the mayonnaise, tomato purée, Tabasco sauce and prawns in a bowl
- Cut the avocados in half and remove stones
- Spoon some of the prawn mayonnaise onto the halves of avocado
- Garnish with tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce
- Serve with a spoon!